- InfiniBox Fx3xx, F43xxS - main components
- InfiniBox Fx3xx rack layout
- BBU (Backup Battery Unit)
- Drive enclosures
- Utility drawer
- PDU (Power Distribution Unit)
- Patch panel and network connectivity
- Optic Patch Panel
- Copper Patch Panel
- Power wiring
- InfiniBox Visio Stencil
InfiniBox features off-the-shelf hardware components, allowing for a quick adoption of newer, faster hardware components.
InfiniBox Fx3xx, F43xxS - main components
The InfiniBox system is housed in a 42U rack that contains the following components:
- 3 storage controllers (nodes)
- 3 BBUs (battery backup units)
- drive enclosures
- a utility drawer
- patch panel
InfiniBox Fx3xx rack layout
A node is an InfiniBox component that receives I/O from hosts and controls the way data is stored. Each InfiniBox has three nodes in Active-Active-Active formation for maximum redundancy. Each node has access to all drive enclosures.
Nodes on all Fx3xx and F43xxS models
Each node is equipped with:
- Dual CPUs
- 8 drives
- DRAM capacity that varies among the Fx3xx models, from 256 GB to 1024 GB per node
- 2 redundant power supplies
Each node contains the following I/O modules:
- Ethernet for host connectivity, where the Ethernet speed is either 10 Gbps or 25 Gbps depending on which option was purchased
- FC (Fibre Channel) for host connectivity, where the maximum FC speed is either 16 Gbps or 32 Gbps depending on which option was purchased
- SAS (Storage Attached SCSI) HBA (Host Bus Adapter) for connectivity to the enclosures
- InfiniBand for connectivity between the InfiniBox nodes
Nodes on the Fx3xx
Nodes on Fx3xx models contain:
- SSD drives for flash cache, available in a variety of capacity options up to 368 TB per system
Nodes on the F43xxS
Nodes on F43xxS models contain, relative to the Fx3xx:
- Additional SAS HBA for increasing the bandwidth to the enclosures
BBU (Backup Battery Unit)
BBUs support the nodes during power loss. They provide enough power to allow time for the nodes to shut down gracefully when both power sources are lost.
When power returns, the system powers on automatically.
Enclosures on all Fx3xx and F43xxS models
Each enclosure contains:
- 60 bays for hot-pluggable drives
- 2 hot-pluggable, redundant I/O controllers
- 2 hot-pluggable, redundant power and cooling modules, each containing an independent AC power inlet
Enclosures on the Fx3xx
- 2, 4, or 8 enclosures
- 60 NL-SAS HDDs in each enclosure
- Available HDD sizes, depending on the model: 3, 4, 6, 8, or 12 TB
Enclosures on the F43xxS
- 4 enclosures
- 60 SAS SSDs in each enclosure
- Available SSD capacities, depending on the model: 3.84TB or 7.68TB
The utility drawer contains the following components:
- Support Appliance - For allowing InfiniBox Support to connect to the InfiniBox system and for running other support related tasks.
- PSUs (Power Supply Units) - For powering up the Support Appliance, internal switch, and other peripherals.
- ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) - An electrical switch that selects one of the two PDUs (Power Distribution Units) as the power source to feed the BBU in such a way that each of the BBUs is fed from redundant power sources.
- Internal system Ethernet switch - For Ethernet connectivity between the system components.
PDU (Power Distribution Unit)
A PDU is an electrical unit that receives power from the data center and provides multiple power outputs to feed the InfiniBox components.
- PDUs are available in 1 phase or 3 phases.
- 2 or 4 PDUs are used, depending on the system model and location.
- PDU connectivity is redundant.
Patch panel and network connectivity
The InfiniBox patch panel is located on the rear side of the rack. The patch panel layout includes three sets of cable ports, one for each node.
Each of the nodes includes:
- 8 FC ports
- 6 Ethernet data ports (copper or optic)
- 1 management port for the InfiniBox management interfaces
- Port 15, located on the node-3 area of the patch panel, used for connecting a VPN to the Support Appliance for remote connectivity
Optic Patch Panel
Copper Patch Panel
For additional details about the InfiniBox network layout, requirements, and options, see: InfiniBox Best Practices Guide for Setting Up the Network Connectivity.
Inlets to PDUs
PDUs are fed from the data center.
PDU to ATS
There are 3 ATSs in the system. Each ATS is fed from two PDUs, one on each side of the rack.
ATS to BBU
Each ATS feeds a different BBU.
BBU to nodes
Each BBU feeds one node. The BBU feeds one of the node's two PSUs.
PDU to nodes
PDUs feed the nodes via their PSUs that are not fed from a BBU.
PDU to enclosures
Each enclosure is fed from two different PDUs.