About this task
Remote replication is the process of copying a dataset from a local InfiniBox to a remote InfiniBox for the purpose of data protection or disaster recovery. The replication ensures uninterrupted business operation in case of a site failure. Infinidat's Remote Replication technology can asynchronously or synchronously replicate data from a source InfiniBox to a target InfiniBox.
This task replicates a volume, a consistency group or a filesystem, from a source InfiniBox to a target InfiniBox.
Replicating a consistency group
InfiniBox allows replicating consistency group members while maintaining a consistent replica on the target system.
Two replicated entities (volume, consistency group or a filesystem) cannot have the same name.
Renaming the target
Renaming the target entity (either a volume, consistency group or filesystem) is reflected on the source side of the replica. In order to allow the renaming operation to take effect, the link has to be up.
- In case that the link is not up (either degraded or down), the new name will not be reflected on the source side, even when the link is up again. In any case that the link is not up, it is advised to wait until it is up and only then rename the target.
Creating a replica from a source InfiniBox to a target InfiniBox requires a link between the two systems. See the following help topics for instructions on how to fulfill the prerequisites:
- Remote replication prerequisites
- Creating a link
- Creating a network space
- Target entity - can be either:
- Created as part of the replica creation
- Previously existing, and an empty dataset
Before you begin
Prepare the following information prior to creating the replica:
- The source system
- The source entity (volume, consistency group or filesystem)
- The target system (Link)
- The target pool - if the target entity does not exist it will be created by the system
- Target entity name - a name for the target dataset (optional)
- Target suffixes - suffixes for names of the target consistency group's volumes (optional)
- Target entity - if the target entity exists
- Replica attributes
- Sync interval - the interval between two consecutive sync jobs
- RPO (Recovery Point Objective) - the lag between the source and target sites
- On the InfiniBox GUI, click the Replication icon on the left toolbar to open the Replication screen.
- Click Create. The Create Replica screen opens.
- Fill in the following information:
- Replication type - .Select the replication type. The options are Async, Sync, and Active Active
- Remote system - Select a remote system from a list of linked system
- Dataset type - Select the dataset type, Volume or Consistency Group
- Source - Select the source of the replication.
- Remote dataset - Select whether to create a new target dataset or to replicate into an already existing dataset
- Remote DS name (new dataset) - Enter the name for a new dataset.
Remote volume name (existing dataset) - Select the name of the Remote volume
- Remote pool (new dataset) - select the remote pool
- Interval and RPO - see a broader discussion with recommended values here: How to set the replica RPO and interval
- Examine the graphical display of the replica definition on the right pane on the screen. Change the replica definition as needed.
- Click Create. The replica is created and is visible on the Replication screen.
- The replica automatically initializes and its replication progress is visible on the screen.
Look up the following commands on the InfiniShell Command Reference:
replica.advanced.create- Create a new replica using a target dataset that already exists on the remote system.
replica.advanced.create_cg- Replicate a consistency group from the source and volume snapshot groups
Creating a Consistency Group from a snapshot group is only supported from InfiniBox version 5.5.10 and later.