Host PowerTools for VMware allows to create snapshots and to perform other related operations on Active-Active virtual machines.
- Virtual Machines can be housed on a datastore which resides on an Active-Active volume. (a volumes that is undergoing Active-Active replication)
- These VMs are referred as "Active-Active (A-A) Virtual Machines (VMs)".
- A datastore which resides on an Active-Active volume is also referred as "Active-Active datastore".
InfiniBox and snapshots of Active-Active volumes
Snapshots of Active-Active volumes are individual to each peer.
- Snapshots cannot be replicated between the systems.
- Snapshots can be created only on synchronized peers.
Creating Snapshots on Active-Active VMs
A host that is running an Active-Active VM can access its datastore in a uniform or a non-uniform manner.
- The host access type determines if a snapshot can be created on both peers or only on one of them.
In case of a uniform host access, a snapshot can be taken on both or one of the peers.
- The "Snapshot both Active-Active peers" checkbox will appear in the Create Snapshot modal.
- Checked by default.
Note: in case Host PowerTools for VMware cannot access one of the peers, the "Snapshot both Active-Active peers" checkbox will be grayed-out and a snapshot can be created only on the accessible peer.
Creating a snapshot on both peers
In case the "Snapshot both Active-Active peers" checkbox is checked, Host PowerTools for VMware will create a snapshot on both peers of the underline Active-Active volume. (both systems)
- Two snapshots will be registered and appear in the VM's snapshot list.
Both peers must be synchronized (the Active-Active replica state of the peers is "Synchronized").
- In case one of the peers is not synchronized, a snapshot will not be created on any of the peers - the operation will fail.
Creating a snapshot on a specific peer
In order to create a snapshot only on a specific peer, clear the "Snapshot both Active-Active peers" checkbox.
- A system drop list will appear to allow to choose only the desired system.
In case of a non-uniform host access, a snapshot can be created only on the accessible peer.
- A snapshot can be created only on the underling Active-Active volume (peer) that the host which runs the VM can access.
- The "Snapshot both Active-Active peers" checkbox will appear grayed-out in the Create Snapshot modal.
Creating Snapshots on Active-Active datastore
The flow of creating snapshots on Active-Active datastores (through the datastore view) is similar to Active-Active VMs.
- If the cluster can access both peers, a snapshot can be taken as with the uniform manner.
Creating Snapshots at the Folder level
When creating a snapshot at the folder level (through the folder view) and the folder contains Active-Active VMs, Host PowerTools tries to create a snapshot on all accessible peers.