Host PowerTools for VMware can be used to view and manage the ESXi hosts Optimized/Non-optimized ALUA states.
ALUA is a standard used for identifying paths prioritization between the storage and hosts, and enables the initiators to query the target about path attributes, such as the paths ALUA state.
- ALUA management is supported with Host PowerTools for VMware v5 or later.
- InfiniBox ESXi host objects Active ALUA state can be displayed or changed for each connected InfiniBox system.
- InfiniBox: InfiniBox hosts ALUA management is supported with InfiniBox version 5 or later.
InfiniBox Host ALUA states
InfiniBox allows to set the Active ALUA state (optimized/non-optimized) on the host object level. (storage side)
- Active/Optimized: the optimal paths to serve I/O for the LUN.
- Active/Non-Optimized: performing I/O to the LUN is less optimal using these paths.
By default, InfiniBox hosts are created as optimized. (InfiniBox will set the paths ALUA state of all the volume to are mapped to that host to "Active/Optimized")
- Settings the host Active ALUA state to "Non-optimized" applies only to the Active-Active volumes that are mapped to the host.
- The paths ALUA state of volumes that are not undergoing Active-Active replication is always "Active/Optimized".
Setting hosts to Optimized/Non-optimized
Host PowerTools allows to set the Active ALUA state of ESXi hosts to “Optimized” or “Non-optimized” on each connected system.
- When changing the ALUA state, it might take an additional short time for the operating system to discover the change.
- vSphere might override the ALUA state that is set by InfiniBox in some scenarios.
- Typically, if an ESXi host sees only "Non-optimized" paths to a specific LUN, it will set these paths internally to "Optimized".
- Available only for InfiniBox version 5.0 or later and using Host PowerTools for VMware 5.0 or later.
- The default checked radio button presents the current state.
- On vSphere Client, select the desired ESXi host object.
- Access the INFINIDAT view. For instruction see: Locating the INFINIDAT view
- On the desired system click the More Options icon and select Settings.
- Under "Host paths ALUA state", select the desired state.
Settings a host to 'Non-optimized' on a specific system is recommended only if the host is mapped to active-active volumes where there is a better connection to the volumes via the other system.