- Available layouts
- InfiniBox Power Feed
- The Patch Panel
InfiniBox features off-the-shelf hardware components, allowing for a quick adoption of newer, faster hardware components.
- InfiniBox x2xx overview is available on this page: InfiniBox Fx2xx overview
- InfiniBox x3xx is discussed here
InfiniBox contains an array of 3 storage controllers (nodes), 3 BBUs and a service drawer. The storage controllers are connected to each other via an InfiniBand network. Each storage controller is equipped with RAM,internal disk drives and Flash Cache. The amount of Flash Cache is available in various configurations (see below).
The InfiniBox models are equipped with 1,2,4 or 8 drive enclosures; each contains 60 disk drives. The available sizes are 4, 6, or 12 TB (not all drives sizes are available for all of the models).
The following image displays the various InfiniBox rack layouts.
Each of the nodes is available in either of the following configurations
The RAM capacity of each of the nodes varies among the Fx3xx models. It ranges between 128GB to 1,024GB per node.
Each node is equipped with 8 drives.
Each node is also equipped with SSD drives. The SSD drives are available in a variety of capacity options, all the way up to 368TB per system.
InfiniBox Power Feed
- PDU - Power Distribution Unit. An electrical unit that receives power from the data center and provides multiple power outputs to feed the InfiniBox components.
- ATS - Automatic Transfer Switch. An electrical switch that selects the power source between two PDUs to feed the BBU in such a way that each of the BBU is fed from redundant power sources.
The ATS is located within the Utility Drawer.
- BBU - Backup Battery Unit. Provides electrical power to InfiniBox nodes in case no power arrives from the data center, allowing InfiniBox to gracefully shutdown and protect user data.
- Node - A Storage Controller. The InfiniBox component that receives I/O from hosts and controls the way data is stored. InfiniBox has three nodes in Active-Active-Active formation for maximum redundancy.
Nodes are fed from the BBUs and PDUs. Nodes may include SSD drives for Read Cache.
- Enclosure - A fully redundant storage enclosure that contains 60 drives. Enclosures are fed from the PDUs.
Inlets to PDUs
The PDUs are fed from the data center power inlets. PDUs are available in 1PH or 3PH. 2 or 4 PDUs can be in use. This is based on the system model and the geography. The PDU connectivity is redundant.
PDU to ATS
All PDUs feed the ATSs. There are 3 ATSs in the system.
The PDUs feed the ATSs in either of the following configurations:
- PDU - 4 * 1PH / 2-4 * 3PH
- ATS - 3
- Side A PDUs connected to 1 ATS
- Side B PDUs connected to the other two ATS (each PDU is connected to both ATS)
ATS to BBU
Each ATS feeds each of the BBUs (a single ATS feeds a single BBU).
- ATS - 3
- BBU - 3
- Connectivity - An ATS per BBU
BBU to Nodes
Each BBU feeds 1 Node. The BBU feeds the Node's PSU1.
PDU to Nodes
Each Node is fed from one of the PDUs. The PDU feeds the Node's PSU2.
PDU to Enclosure(s)
Each enclosure is fed from two different PDUs.
Enclosures and Drives
1,2,4 or 8 Enclosures. Each contains 60 drives:
- Enclosure size is 4U
- 60 NL-SAS HDDs, hot-pluggable
- 2 x hot-pluggable, redundant I/O controllers
- 2 x hot-pluggable, redundant power and cooling modules
- Two independent AC power inlets
Support the nodes during power loss, allowing enough time for the nodes to gracefully shut down
- Provide power to allow the nodes to shut down gracefully in an event where the two power sources are lost
- When power returns, the system is powered on automatically
Each node has access to all drives.
The Patch Panel
The InfiniBox patch panel is located on the rear side of the rack. The patch panel layout includes three sets of cable ports, one for each node.
Each of the nodes includes:
- 8 FC ports
- 6 Ethernet ports (copper or optic)
- 1 management port for the InfiniBox Management Suite
Port 15 located on the node-3 area of the patch panel is used for connecting VPN to the Support Appliance for remote connectivity
Optic Patch Panel
Copper Patch Panel
The Service Drawer
The Service Drawer contains the following components:
- ATS - the ATS is fed by the PDU and feeds the BBU as discussed above
- Support Appliance (on a fit-PC)
- Internal system Ethernet switch