The registration of INFINIDAT volumes to the host binds the InfiniBox to the vCenter Server (via Host PowerTools), allowing for the provisioning of storage capacity to the datastores.
Following the installation:
- The appliance scans storage adapters and associates all of the ports that are connected to InfiniBox with cluster definition on the storage side
- The appliance installs VASA and performs additional optimizations (for example, changing the multipathing policy, configuring the multipathing Queue depth, etc.)
- The Host PowerTools application scans the environment for InfiniBox systems.
These actions apply only to InfiniBox volumes. They do not apply to ESX global setting, thus they do not affect volumes of other storage vendors.
The discovered systems are displayed on the screen.
In vSphere Web client select the desired host or cluster.
- Locate Host PowerTools for VMware System List. Follow the instructions here: Locating the Host PowerTools for VMware System List.
For each storage system, Host PowerTools displays its name, serial number, version, available operations and a list of mapped volumes. In the screenshot above, the only available operation is Register Host.
The message on screen explains that no volumes can be created on the InfiniBox from within the vCenter Server, as long as it is not registered to InfiniBox.
Register the host using your InfiniBox credentials. The credentials are stored on the appliance and are unique per vCenter user.
The registration grants the user with provisioning privileges.
- Click Register Host.
Authentication Required screen opens.
- Enter the following information:
- User name - Enter the user name of InfiniBox.
- Password - Enter the password of InfiniBox.
- Remember these credentials - Check in order to allow Host PowerTools to remember your access information.
- Use these credentials for all systems - Check in order to allow Host PowerTools to use the same credentials on all InfiniBox.
- Click OK.
The InfiniBox is available for use.
Connecting to an iSCSI system
- The InfiniBox system has to have an iSCSI network space configured. For more information, see the InfiniBox 3.0 best practices for setting up services guide.
- On the vCenter INFINIDAT screen, select Connect to iSCSI System from the menu.
- Select a network space and an authentication method and click Continue.
Cluster re-registration after a new hosts were added to an already registered Cluster
- In vSphere Web client select the desired cluster.
- Locate Host PowerTools for VMware System List.
- Refresh the Cluster view by pressing the Refresh Page option.
- Re-register the cluster by pressing the Register Cluster button (the button is visible only after the Refresh operation on step 2).