This page describes how to move a VMware ESX between clusters that are connected to InfiniBox.
- Read the following article from VMware.
- Verify that all VMware prerequisites are met
- Make sure both Clusters have the same volume mapping.
- You can do it via the vSphere GUI, or by using InfiniShell (cluster.map_query ... ).
Choosing your migration type (according to your environment)
- Type 1 - traditional ESX migration, includes moving the migrated ESX into "Maintenance Mode"
- Type 2 - Online, requires multi FC ports on each ESX host who's migrating
Type 1 - Traditional migration (recommended)
- Move the ESX into maintenance mode (information on maintenance mode is available here or here )
- Once the host is in maintenance mode (the task is complete and host icon looks like that:
Move the host to the desired cluster. ),
- Right-click on the host, press "Exit Maintenance Mode",
and you are Done
Type 2 - Online Migration
INFINIDAT prerequisites for online migration
- The host must have 2 physical FC ports (2 WWPNs) or more
- Multipath is configured correctly and is fully operational.
- All volumes have to be mapped to both clusters with same LUN ID (LUN mapping) prior to the migration
example-vol13is mapped to
example-vol13has to be mapped to
- The cluster that you migrate to, need's to be registered on the InfiniBox.
During the ESX migration process the INFINIDAT tab in the UI will be inconsistent, please don't open it nor use it.
When the migration is done, open the INFINIDAT tab and press Refresh Page
- Verify that all of the prerequisites are met.
Using the Infinishell, create another host.
Let's say that we want to migrate an ESX host named host-foobar from cluster1 to cluster2.
Now, remove one of the ports (WWPN) from the original host, and add it to the migration-host.
Add your migration host to the new cluster using Infinishell.
Rescan the migrated host (via VMware ) and make sure no paths were lost.
if some paths were lost and did not recover, stop the process and rollback everything
Assuming all went smooth, move all ports to the "migration-host".
Rescan again making sure no path were lost.
Through the VMware GUI, disconnect the ESX from the cluster, then remove it.
Go to the cluster that you want to add the host to (in our example: cluster2 ) and add it using the GUI, Cluster - > Add Host.
Using Infinishell remove the original host from the cluster and delete it.
Using Infinishell rename the "migration-host" to the host you just deleted (the host original name).
Go to the INFINIDAT tab in the VMware interface, Refresh the page and make sure all is displayed as expected.