INFINIDAT uses the storage terminology for a backup: the snapshot. The snapshot reflects the content of the volume – and the datastore – at a certain point-in-time.
INFINIDAT utilizes an advanced snapshot mechanism that allows for creating an extremely scalable number of snapshots for a virtual machine with no performance penalty.
The INFINIDAT Host PowerTools for VMware snapshot consistency process includes the following steps:
- Creation of VM level snapshot
- Creation a storage level snapshot
- Deleting the VM level snapshot
Virtual disk consolidation
When creating a VM level snapshot, the original VMDK file gets into R/O mode, and, at the same time, a new delta file is created for all the new writes.
- Whenever the VM level snapshot is deleted the delta file needs to be consolidated into the VMDK file (and set the VMDK back to R/W).
- As this consolidation takes time and might affect performance, HPT-VM allows the user to skip this consolidation by only deleting the VMware snapshot without consolidating the VMDK delta file.
- However, the user still has to consolidate the delta file, but the consolidation can be scheduled to be run later, when the system is less busy.
When taking a snapshot of a VM, a snapshot of the underlying InfiniBox volume is taken which includes all the data residing on its related datastore.
- Select a datastore or a virtual machine and open its INFINIDAT tab.
Click Create Snapshot.
The Create Snapshot screen opens.
- Fill in the following information:
- Snapshot name
- Description - Add optional text here.
- Perform VMware consistency snapshot - Creates a consistent snapshot by performing Quiesce.
- Consolidate virtual disk - Consolidates the virtual disk now. If unchecked, the disk consolidation will take place later, when the system is less busy.
- Auto generate snapshot volume name - Uncheck this box to manually set the snapshot volume name within InfiniBox.
- Click Done.
The snapshot is created.
The snapshot is visible on screen along with its properties.
The snapshot volume is visible on the InfiniBox GUI or InfiniShell as well.