INFINIDAT uses the storage terminology for a backup: the snapshot. The snapshot reflects the content of the volume – and the datastore – at a certain point-in-time.
INFINIDAT utilizes an advanced snapshot mechanism that allows for creating an extremely scalable number of snapshots for a virtual machine with no performance penalty.
The INFINIDAT Host PowerTools for VMware snapshot consistency process includes the following steps:
- Creation of VM level snapshot
- Creation a storage level snapshot
- Deleting the VM level snapshot
Virtual disk consolidation
When creating a VM level snapshot, the original VMDK file gets into R/O mode, and, at the same time, a new delta file is created for all the new writes.
Whenever the VM level snapshot is deleted the delta file needs to be consolidated into the VMDK file (and set the VMDK back to R/W).
As this consolidation takes time and might affect performance, HPT-VM allows the user to skip this consolidation by only deleting the VMWare snapshot without consolidating the VMDK delta file).
However, the user still has to consolidate the delta file, but the consolidation can be scheduled to be run later, when the system is less busy.
When taking a snapshot of a VM, a snapshot of the underlying InfiniBox volume is taken which includes all the data residing on its related datastore.
- Select a datastore or a virtual machine and open its INFINIDAT tab.
Click Create Snapshot.
The Create Snapshot screen opens.
- Fill in the following information:
- Snapshot name
- Description - Add optional text here.
- Perform VMware consistency snapshot - Creates a consistent snapshot by performing Quiesce.
- Consolidate virtual disk - Consolidates the virtual disk now. If unchecked, the disk consolidation will take place later, when the system is less busy.
- Auto generate snapshot volume name - Uncheck this box to manually set the snapshot volume name within InfiniBox.
- Click Done.
The snapshot is created.
The snapshot is visible on screen along with its properties.
The snapshot volume is visible from the InfiniBox GUI, as well.