About this task
Remote replication is the process of copying a dataset from a local InfiniBox to a remote InfiniBox for the purpose of data protection or disaster recovery. The replication ensures uninterrupted business operation in case of a site failure. The INFINIDAT Remote Replication technology asynchronously replicates data from a source InfiniBox to a target InfiniBox. The replication is defined per volume.
This task replicates a volume, or a consistency group, from a source InfiniBox to a target InfiniBox.
Replicating a consistency group
InfiniBox allows to replicate consistency group members while maintaining a consistent replica on the target system.
Two replicated entities (a volume and a consistency group) cannot have the same name.
Creating a replica from a source InfiniBox to a target InfiniBox requires a link between the two systems. See the following help topics for instructions on how to fulfill the prerequisites:
- Remote replication prerequisites
- Creating a link
- Creating a network space
- Target volume - can be either:
- Created as part of the replica creation
- Previously existing, and empty
Before you begin
Prepare the following information prior to creating the replica:
- The source system
- The source dataset (volume, or consistency group)
- The pool that the source dataset belongs to
- The target system
- The target pool
- Replica attributes
- Sync interval - the interval between two consecutive sync jobs
- RPO (Recovery Time Objective) - the lag between the source and target sites
- Target dataset
- Dataset name - a name for the target dataset (optional)
- Dataset suffixes - suffixes for names of the target consistency group's volumes (optional)
Renaming the target
Renaming the target (either a volume or a consistency group) is reflected on the source side of the replica. In order to allow the renaming operation to take effect, the link has to be up.
- In case that the link is not up (either degraded or down), the new name will not be reflected on the source side, even when the link is up again. In any case that the link is not up, it is advised to wait until it is up and only then rename the target.
- On the InfiniBox GUI, click the Replication icon on the let toolbar to open the Replication screen.
- Click Create. The Create Replica screen opens.
- Fill in the following information:
- Replica type - select between Volume and Consistency Group.
- Source - Select the source dataset
- Remote system - select a remote system from a list of linked system.
- Remote target - select whether to create a new target dataset or to replicate into an already existing dataset
- Remote pool - select the remote pool
- Interval and RPO - see a broader discussion with recommended values here: How to set the replica RPO and interval
- Examine the graphical display of the replica definition on the right pane on the screen. Change the replica definition as needed.
- Click Create. The replica is created and is visible on the Replication screen.
- The replica automatically initializes and its replication progress is visible on the screen.
Look up the following commands on the InfiniShell Command Reference:
replica.advanced.create- for replicating volume a from the source and target snapshots
replica.advanced.create_cg- for replicating a consistency group from the source and volume snapshot groups